The Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies (CEAPS) and the Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program (WGGP) announce a call for applications for the Illinois Global Institute (IGI) Language Fellowship. This fellowship provides support for critical language training necessary to fields of academic and professional development for UIUC graduate students. The fellowship offers academic year support (AY 2023-2024) to graduate students at the MA or PhD level. Successful applicants will receive a $20,000 stipend and a waiver of tuition and some fees. As cultural and language training go hand in hand, fellows will be required to take one language course and one relevant area studies course each semester that they hold a fellowship. Additional requirements may be listed in awards letters. Academic advisors at each center will assist fellows in selecting the appropriate language and area studies courses.
Eligible Languages by Center
Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies
Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program
- This fellowship supports study of eligible languages (see list above) at all levels, from elementary to advanced. Preference will be given to applicants studying at the intermediate to advanced level.
- Applicants must be degree-seeking students in good academic standing enrolled in graduate programs at the University of Illinois.
- Incoming graduate students are eligible to receive a fellowship if they are accepted for enrollment and matriculate for the 2023-2024 academic year or are already enrolled full-time at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
All applicants must submit to the relevant center the following:
- Personal statement explaining your rationale for studying a particular language, experience with the language (if any) and/or any other foreign languages, how the proposed language study fits in with your field of study and relates to the specific area studies you are apply to, as well as how the study of the language will advance your academic/professional goals;
- Unofficial transcripts;
- Two letters of recommendation (one must be from your current advisor). Reference letters must be submitted by referee at https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/1041292235. Letters of Recommendation are due by 11:59 p.m. CT on Friday, Feb. 3, 2023.
Application and instructions are available https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/878436627. Applications are due by Friday, Jan. 27, 2023, at 11:59pm.
Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies: Associate Director Yuchia Chang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Women and Gender in Global Perspectives Program: Associate Director Anita Kaiser (email@example.com)