(REEEC) Special Spring 2023 Semester FLAS Competition
The Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center (REEEC) announces a special Spring 2023 semester FLAS competition for undergraduate students. Students enrolling in an intermediate or advanced language of the REEEC region and an area studies course during the Spring semester are eligible to apply for the Fellowship. Applications including a statement of purpose and transcripts are due Sunday, January 8, at 11:59pm central time. Please see below for competition details, application link, and FAQ.
Spring 2023 Eligibility and Requirements
Please read the eligibility requirements carefully.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
- You must be currently enrolled in or have a demonstrated proficiency at least at the intermediate level in the language for which you are applying. Acceptable proof of proficiency includes reference letter from a language instructor, placement test, or high school or college transcripts. Students should check with the languages department to learn what year of study is considered as intermediate for the language for which they are applying as some departments accept 2nd year and some departments accept 3rd year as the intermediate level.
- You must have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- You must be enrolled full-time (twelve credit hours) in the Spring 2023 semester.
- You must be enrolled for graded credit in formal language instruction in the language of the award as well as in an international or area studies course.
- Complete an online periodic evaluation of the program the semester after your award and later as an alum of the program.
- According to U.S. Department of Education grant requirements, FLAS recipients are also expected to complete a biennial questionnaire for eight years after graduation.
- Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center (REEEC): Bosnian-Serbian-Croatian, Czech, Polish, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian. Please ask the FLAS coordinator about other possible regional languages.
The instructions below MUST be followed in submitting an application for a FLAS fellowship. Questions regarding the application procedures and materials can be addressed to REEEC FLAS Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read the eligibility requirements and fellowship requirements before applying.
- Check with each center’s website for Center specific application criteria. See the right-hand panel for contact information for each Center.
- Applications are due by Monday, January 9, 2023, 11:59 p.m. CT.
- Complete the online application form by the above date.
- If you are planning to study abroad at any point during the term of your fellowship, please read the FLAS Study Abroad requirements and deadlines.
Online Application Form
For undergraduate applicants – you may save your form and finish it at a later time by clicking the “Save and Finish Later” button on the bottom of the screen. You will receive an email with a link to return to the form. This email is the only way you can access the saved form.
- In order to move between the previous and next pages, all of the required information must be filled out on the current application page.
- The online application form also includes:
- Statement of Purpose (1 to 2 page maximum). Essays should describe how the proposed language study fits in with your field of study and relates to the specific area studies the FLAS granting center to which you are applying supports; how you intend to use the language; and how the language and area study will contribute to your ultimate career goals. Please also describe your previous language learning experiences (formal and informal).
- Undergraduate transcripts, including the fall semester of this year, for current students (Illinois and any other schools you have attended). Undergraduate transcript for incoming continuing undergraduate students. Scanned copies and unofficial reports are acceptable.
- FAFSA Confirmation Page. We will assume zero financial need for those students who do not complete a FAFSA.
Please note that students are urged to submit customized essays that are specific to FLAS as it will enhance the competitiveness of their application.
The online application closes at 11:59 p.m. CT on Sunday, Jan. 8, 2023. The application and materials listed above must be submitted by this time. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Application Deadline: Sunday, Jan. 8, 2023
Award/Alternate/Rejection Letters Sent: mid-January 2023
Spring 2023 FLAS
- Undergraduate students: may receive $5,000 towards tuition and fees to study at the University of Illinois and a stipend of $2,500.
I am an undergraduate student, can I apply for beginning language study?
No, undergraduate students can only be funded at the intermediate level and above.
I am enrolling in a program abroad. Why do you need information about my travel plans at least six weeks before my departure?
If your travel is supported with Title VI funds, we are required by the U.S. Department of Education to request travel approval before purchase of travel with FLAS funds. Requests submitted after this deadline might not be approved, in which case they can not be supported with FLAS funds. Travelers are advised not to make irrevocable travel arrangements prior to receiving the official approval.
I am an undergraduate. Can I apply?
Yes, please see the eligibility page.
Can I take my language courses ‘pass/fail’ while on a FLAS?
No. The Department of Education requires that these courses be taken for a letter grade and the student must remain in “good standing.”
Is someone with a green card eligible for a FLAS, or are FLAS awards only for U.S. citizens?
Permanent residents with green cards are eligible for a FLAS.
Can I apply for a Spring 2023 and an Academic Year and/or Summer FLAS?
Yes, you may apply for the Spring 2023 FLAS and the Summer 2023 and Academic Year 2023-24 FLAS. However, they are different competitions and require two different applications. Apply to the Spring 2023 FLAS here[MME1] and see here for the Summer 2023 and Academic Year 2023-34 application.
Do I need any recommendations?
You do not need any letters of recommendations for the Spring 2023 undergraduate FLAS application.
How and when will FLAS nominees and alternates be notified?
Award announcements will be made in mid-January. Emails and written letters are sent to award recipients as soon as possible after the Fellowships Committees make their decisions.
Who should I contact if I have additional questions?
Please contact REEEC FLAS Coordinator Maureen Marshall at email@example.com